Thursday, February 19, 2009

London Trends

London and Paris fashion weeks are upon us. Because of my internship with Stella McCartney, I feel I am very up-to-date on style. Let me tell you what the current trends are.


First, jumpsuits and denim hotpants (worn with tights) are both in right now. Make sure your jumpsuit is baggy enough (aka you are slim enough) that it does not look like you're wearing a onesie. As for the denim hotpants...if you wear them with black or purple tights and strappy high-heeled sandals, you will look incredibly cool.



You're probably wondering...'Eliz what do you wear on a daily basis because I could never see you wearing a jumpsuit?' Well, the rumor is true that people dress up more here. If I walk down the street in a sweatshirt, trainers, or sweatpants, people most likely assume I am about to work out. Because the weather has been around 50 degrees for a high this week, I've been wearing a lot of sweaters. Usually under the sweaters I either sport a solid tshirt or a button down. As for my trousers (do not call them pants!), I have been tucking my jeans into either my black or brown boots. Also, I now have a pair of black skinny jeans, which I can wear flats with. However, bare in mind, I'm definitely not the trendiest person on the street. I like to keep things simple.


'So Eliz...What's cool for street wear?' Layered looks that include something baggy (kinda like the baggy brown shirt the model is wearing in the above picture). Also, you can add in an extra long necklace or wear a scarf. Very large cocktail rings are in fashion now too. Fashionable shoes include leather boots (either high or ankle booties), or high heels with a bit of a platform under the part of the shoe that is not the heel but touches the ground. Here's an example of some Stella shoes that look like that:



If you go to London but do not want to spend a lot of money, Primark is a great place to pick up something fashionable for an inexpensive price. I've never bought anything there because I've only gone once and was overwhelmed with how large and crowded it was, but I have friends that buy things from there all time time. However, I have bought a few things from Zara and H&M, which are nice. Also, there is a store called Topshop which Londoners love. Those four are big London/European staples.


Finally, don't forget your trench coat when you come to London! Nobody wears any other kind of jacket.



Also, some new news:

-I'm going to Scotland for the weekend.

-Clinique bonus time is just as chaotic in London as it is in America

-Christine and I FINALLY finished organizing and shelving the magazines in the Stella archive today! Yay!

1 comment:

  1. We're glad to hear that the Stella magazine archive is complete! It's important for future Interns to think more about their response to unglamorous, yet necessary, job assignments. Until the economy recovers, expect to see a lot more of this.

    Speaking of Stella, there's a lot in the US news about how the fashion industry is scaling back, in terms of its parties, as well as its products. To stay in business, fashion houses are tightening their belts and producing more classic styles and colors.

    You haven't blogged much about your classes yet. We hope you're busy processing the cultural distinctions that exist between our two countries. We'd like to read about this too. -- Warmly, Dr Ruth

    ReplyDelete