Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Last Night Stateside

I am leaving for London tomorrow night, and it will not stop snowing in Chicago! I am already expecting a delay based on the weather forecast. It's supposed to snow in Chicago off-and-on throughout the weekend, and we already have several inches of snow accumulated from previous snow showers this week. There is also a chance that my plane will need to be "de-iced." Wish me luck! I am supposed to arrive at Heathrow airport at 8:50am Monday, January 12.


There is a six-hour time difference between Chicago and London. Because of this, my father has been making me get up earlier and earlier every day this week to prevent jet lag (which can be brutal during the first few days based on my own experience and the opinions of my friends who have already studied abroad). This morning I woke up at 7:30 Chicago time, which would be 1:30pm London time. I definitely will still have some jet lag to conquer!



With the London Internship program through Arcadia University, a student is assigned to live in one of three residences based on proximity to his or her internship placement. The three residences are Thoresby, Redcliffe Gardens, and Palace Court. I will be living in Palace Court with four other female London Internship Program participants. I have heard I will live in a triple room, with wifi access, and a communal kitchen and bathroom. The Palace Court building also houses the London offices of Arcadia University. Palace Court is located on the actual street called Palace Court, which is on the northwest side of Hyde Park.



Right now I am working on packing up the last few items I am taking to London. I have two 29" Delsey suitcases that are part of the company's "lightweight" line. In addition, I am bringing a backpack and a small duffel bag as my two carry-on bags. As a tiny 5'1" female, I'm quite nervous about the bulk of my belongings (especially since I've been told there is no elevator to my flat).



The weather in London is much more temperate than it is in Chicago. Next week the expected highs in London are in the upper 40's and low 50's. Here is a graph of the average monthly temperatures, which I got from visitlondon.com. As you can see, the temperatures vary much less than they do in Chicago and Indiana. Right now in Chicago I am suffering through 20-degree (F) weather with a lot of snow, and in the summer the temperature in Chicago can get up to 100 degrees. Very big difference. When I went to Brighton, England last June there were people lounging on the beach on a 65-degree day!



I also feel I should briefly write about the latest royal news in London. First, Prince William is NOT engaged yet, although many Brits feel it will happen this year. Secondly, Prince Harry has been caught on a video from three years ago saying derogatory things about Pakistani people. He has issued a formal apology.



Finally, I received an email from the mother in my homestay family this week introducing herself and her family. As part of my program orientation, I will be travelling to Woking, Surrey (just southwest of London) next weekend to stay with a family. I will be rooming with another female student on my program while at the family's house. During the day, I will be visiting Windsor with the program and touring around the shire (which is like a British county). The family sounds very nice, and they have experience housing students who are studying abroad! I am sure I will blog more about my experience in Woking when the time comes.



Well, wish my luck on my last night in the states! Tomorrow at this time (6pm) I will be sitting at O'Hare airport. I still haven't figured out why the times I write posts is recorded wrong next to the comments. Well, until next time, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment