Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Tisket A Tate-sket

So I went to Tate Modern last weekend with Haley, Erin, and Christine. The art was incredible, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I also really love how most of the museums in London are free, so we didn't have to spend a single pence to see these amazing paintings. I wrote down all of my favorite paintings, and I'm going to list them off:











"Los Moscos" by Mark Bradford (this was made out of advertisements he found around his house for bands and events)













"Loa" by Albert Oehlen


















"Water Lillies" by Claude Monet (you've probably already seen this but it's cool in person because the painting is enormous!



"Figure" (Woman) by Magda Cordell



"The Busy Life" by Jean Dubuffet (this one looked like it was made out of colored margarine...it was really cool in person)



"Black Virtue" by Matta (the shading in the sections with red were so amazing that I honestly couldn't stop talking about this painting for the rest of the day after the surrealism exhibit)



"Inflammatory Essays" by Jenny Holzer (these color blocks of essays literally took up a giant wall of one room)



"0 through 9" by Jasper Johns

There were also two artistic films that I really enjoyed watching. The first was called "Meet Joy" and it was both disturbing and fun at the same time. There were a group of people in the film that were constantly finding new things to do (such as pour paint over themselves and the rest, eat raw chicken, roll in a room of feathers, etc.). Although most of the activities looked disgusting, it was also very optically stimulating (and had really fun background music).

I forgot to write down the name of the second artistic film that I enjoyed. It was very strange to watch, and it included dogs, small children, and men in kilts. I found it confusing but intriguing. I hope that if you ever make it to London you will go to the Tate Modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment