Monday, January 19, 2009

My Journey Across The Pond

First I am going to write about my plane trip. Sunday morning at 10am (a few hours before I was supposed to leave) I got a text from my friend Haley who said our flight was cancelled. So I immediately looked it up on VA's website and sure enough...the plane had been cancelled and had to emergency land in Dublin. So we called both Student Universe and VA to get me on a new flight, and Student Universe was able to put me on a United flight that left slightly earlier that day. It was all very stressful, but it was sorted out relatively quickly. However, only one of the three of my friends that were going to be on my VA flight with me was able to transfer onto my new flight.

The flight over was fine in most respects. However, half way through the Atlantic Ocean we hit a really turbulent spot that scared me and my friend a bit. The pilot came on the intercom and said "flight attendants get to your seats immediately!" However, the turbulence stopped after a few minutes, but it still was kinda freaky. Also, my friend and I sat next to a student from Jordan who had just finished his undergraduate degree in America. He was laughing at us when we were scared of the turbulence.

Since we flew United, we were able to leave from the domestic United terminal at O'Hare and arrive in the non-international terminal at Heathrow. This made travelling, security, and customs much easier, but we had to go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 at Heathrow when we arrived in order to meet our group. So with my super heavy suitcases, we grabbed a free luggage cart and made the half hour journey that includes many hallways, inclines, and declines. It was challenging...but we made it.

Once we arrived at Terminal 3, I introduced myself to the other Arcadia students who had arrived as well. Then, the first bus (of three that were sent to pick us up) arrived and took us to our residences. The lame thing was that I was the only one on that bus who lived in my residence and they decided to drop me off last! So I was literally on that bus for three hours before getting to my dorm. Five minutes after I arrived, the second bus dropped off the second round of people (which means they got to be one of the first stops instead of the last). It was somewhat frustrating, but it gave me a tour of London when there's traffic and I was able to see where everyone lives.

My dorm is pretty cool. The Arcadia University offices are on the first floor (or the ground floor as they call it in Britain). There's flats in the basement where freshmen live and where the laundry is. The freshman just arrived today, though, because their program didn't require the two week long orientation. Then there three are half floors that include the bathrooms, and then three floors of rooms that are triples. I live in the smallest triple in the building, which is fine since I don't have a lot of stuff. For the first week I just had one of my roommates here, Audrey, who is from Bucknell University and doing a program that does not include and internship. My second roommate, Kaitlin, came today and is doing the same program that the new freshman are doing. Everyone's programs are through Arcadia. There's a graduate resident who lives in the house and is a lot like an American RA. The final thing I should mention is that there are a lot of steep stairs to climb, and lugging my heavy luggage up them to my room on the third floor was a challenge.

I live in a building that is literally next to Hide Park and between to Queensway and Notting Hill Gate tube stations. The neighborhood is really nice, and there's a ton of shops and restaurants just around the corner. Everything is within walking distance that I would need. I really like my place.

I need to go now and get some things done, but another update about what I have been up to will come soon. Thanks for being patient while I spent time adjusting, exploring London, and having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment